Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The rain is back this week and has put planting on hold. The weather has made it tough to get our field work done which turned out to be a good thing since we didn't get our vegetables in because we had a freeze warning and frost this past weekend. On Sunday I noticed that cow #64 had "stuff" hanging from her indicating that she probably dropped her mucus plug. Gross sounding? Well, it looks kinda gross too but that's the process a cow goes through before giving birth. Since the plug can be dropped long before the actual birth, I figure that she'll give birth sometime over the next couple of weeks. Things should start getting pretty exciting around here as soon as the weather clears up and the fields dry. I'll have to complete my field work so that I can plant my cover crop/summer forage and put the vegetables in right away. I also have to take a cutting of hay off of the fields that are going into beans in time to allow the hay to dry before the beans can go in. Lots to do... once the sun shines for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment