Monday, May 24, 2010

Another busy day lined up today. It's supposed to rain tonight (50% chance 40% tomorrow) and the alfalfa hay I cut several days ago is almost ready to bale. The humidity is super high this morning @ 90% so the hay will be too wet to bale until that drops late this afternoon. Then when it does dry down today it will be in the middle of the day and may be too dry, the leaves can shatter when being baled, but that is the management challenge of alfalfa hay. With the chance of rain tonight and tomorrow I can put some fertilizer on the pasture. Dry fertilizer that is left on the ground will actually turn to a gas over time unless it gets rain to convert it to nitrogen in the ground that the plants can use, so timing the rain is important to maximize the investment. I should have done it early in the spring, but things just didn't seem to work out, it's one more thing on my list of things to do. I also am taking one last load of straw to the sale barn this morning, but first I have go to down and pickup the rack that had straw on it the last time I tried to pickup the rack. I'd rather be busy than bored...

No comments:

Post a Comment