Sunday, May 23, 2010

First Calf of 2010

We had our first calf of the year a couple of days ago. We were going down to plant the back 9 on Friday and noticed that #65, one of our older cows, was bagging. I called up to the house on the radio and announced that #65 was bagging, so everyone went down to watch. Bagging, which I meant is the water bag, not the udder bagging up with milk, indicates that the calf is about to be born any time and is minutes away. Geo and I continued down to plant while everyone else watched the calf get born. Everything was normal and went well. Sara checked and it is a pretty little bull calf. A couple of hours after it was born I found the calf outside of the string fence in the tall grass and took the time to check it over, ear tag it, and castrate band him. It took just a couple of minutes and while the mama cow wasn't pleased that I was messing with her new born, she didn't bust through the string to keep me away either. Next due is #64 from the looks of things. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment