Saturday, June 4, 2011

We put the family garden in a couple of days ago.  Sharon put around 50 tomatoes, 8 rows of sweet corn and 4 rows of green beans.  I came home yesterday evening to find Sharon and the kids spreading corn stalks between the rows.  There was an idea to roll out the corn stalk, but since they grabbed one of last fall's bales it just popped open when it was cut loose and turned into a giant pile.  Then they hand scooped the stalk and walked it down the rows.  Not an easy task but it's done.  I had quite a bit of oats left from harvesting them three years ago.  So this year my brother planted some and I planted the rest as cover/green manure/weed control.  I think I put it down a little thick which may stunt it back, but hopefully it will do its job and I can turn it under before it gets a head and goes to seed or cut it and let it lay to block weeds like laying straw.  We'll know in a month or so if it is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment