Saturday, March 27, 2010

Frost Seeding

I frost seeded some alfalfa the other morning.  The snow is just about off all of the fields and while the nights are below freezing the days are above freezing which allowed me to get the tractor out into the field.  Frost seeding is supposed to take advantage of the freeze thaw action that happens between day and night temps.  When the soil freezes with moisture in it, it actually stands up and creates small pockets in the soil.  The seed that I sowed are supposed to then fall down into the cracks and pockets created by the freezing and when it thaws the soil should cover the seed.  That's the way it's supposed to work anyway.  We'll see how it turns out.  I'm trying to get away from using fertilizer but grass pastures need nitrogen so sowing a legume like alfalfa or clover that fixes nitrogen into the soil should add to the manure that the cows leave behind.  That and since I had a couple of bags of alfalfa left over from last years planting I thought I'd give it a try.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment