Thursday, March 31, 2011

Spring is on the Move

Eggmobile Train
The second egg-mobile is complete and the layers have been moved to the pasture.  It seems early to me, but Sharon has her chickens scheduled with military precision so if she says it's time to move I'm sure it's time to move.  I let the weather tell me when to move the cows, and since the paddock was getting too muddy to get round bales to the hay ring, it was time to move cows to the back nine field.  I checked all of the fences yesterday evening for shorts or lines down and when I found no issues I let the cows move out of their winter paddock and into the pasture.  They spent the night up by the house eating the alfalfa that was on the ground from feeding the calves this winter.  This morning we coaxed the cows to follow us with a round bale of alfalfa and they followed us down to the back nine without a single straggler.  With the changes in location, the chores will take a little more time to complete but that just means that we get to watch the ducks and geese that are all over the farm this time of year.  That's an added bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment