Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Driving

How much time have I spent behind the wheel of a vehicle in the last 30 days?  Before coming to Iowa I had a very long commute to work that took several hours out of every day.  In the last 30 days I'm sure I've spent a comparable amount and then some - between the "vacation" traveling from Beaufort, South Carolina where spring was well underway and planting had begun, to the Cape Charles on the Eastern Short of Virginia where the potatoes were already planted and the fields were worked, and finally on to Maryland where they were just starting to think about getting their crops in but the cows were grazing on green grass. Yesterday I spent the day driving to pickup a new-to-me square baler a couple of hours east of our farm.  The owner guaranteed the baler to work 100%, but we won't know until the first bales start coming out whether the investment was worth it or not.  Today it's driving to haul back the certified chemical free chicken feed for Sharon's first batch of Freedom Ranger chickens which are scheduled to come in on Friday.  Exciting time around the farm, if I can just get out from behind the wheel to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment