Saturday, June 27, 2009

Whew! First Cutting Alfalfa In The Books



As you can see from the posts, the alfalfa has been cut for what seemed like an eternity. It rained off and on and kept me going to the field thinking today is the day that I'll finally be able to get the hay up, only to have it rain or get too humid to dry it down enough to bale. I talked to a neighbor yesterday. He and his father came buy to talk about our oat hay. Anyway we both thought that we were going to bale on Tuesday at about 2PM. But at 12 noon it rained. Guess everyone in our area had the same problems. It feels good to have it finally up and out of the way. I think we got about 32 tons off of the field. Since this hay was rained on I'll use this hay to feed to my cows over the winter. It's not that I couldn't sell it, it came off the field nice and dry and the leaves stayed on it really well, but I'd rather use the hay for myself and only sell the best hay. We did figure out that you can only put 11 round bales on my trailer without straps. I rounded the corner of the field onto the gravel road and half of the trailer load went into the ditch. We only have to pull round bales out of the ditch once to know that I don't want to have to do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment