Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hay + Breakdown + Rain

The second cutting of alfalfa hay has been what you might call a disaster.  Since it has been the wettest July on record it has been tough to get the hay cut, and when I did it got some rain on it.  Worse yet was when I was baling my tractor broke down after a dozen or so bales were rolled.  I would have run over to my brothers and picked up his tractor, but my truck had a flat that same evening so I was stuck.  Once I finally got the flat fixed I did get the tractor, but by then it had rained again.  I ended up raking the hay again but this time with the wheel rake set to fluff the hay rather than rake it into a windrow.  It worked well and the hay was still in okay shape, but when I went to use the baler the slip clutch was slipping too much.  Etc, etc, etc.  Finally I get things rolling again and when I'm about 1/4 from finishing I run out of bale rap!  And then the rain again last night.  So as I write this I'm wondering what to do with the the remaining hay on the field.  Not an easy decision really.  On a positive note we did have another heifer calf this morning and she's nursing from her mama and she looks great!

No comments:

Post a Comment