Friday, August 6, 2010

#51 Update

The next thing that we have to deal with for cow #51 is retained placenta.  Retained placenta is a condition where the placenta isn't expelled within 24 hours after birth.  I called the vet to get his advice and he said that we should just let nature take its course unless the cow starts to show signs of illness.  He said that they used to go in much sooner and physically remove the placenta, but what they are finding now is that the outcome is better if they just let her do her thing and only intervene if things start to go in a bad direction.  Since she seems to be doing fine, and is feeding normally, we'll keep an eye on her.  He did say if I can take her temp, that would allow for a good indication of an onset of infection.  A friend had a good tip for taking the temp.  He ties the thermometer to one end of a string and the other end of the string is tied to a cloths pin.  When the thermometer is inserted the cloths pin is clipped to the hair above the tail.  If I can get close enough I guess I'll give it a try.  Hope I can get the thermometer back!

No comments:

Post a Comment