Saturday, June 12, 2010

Rain

I know, farmers complain when it rains and then they complain when it's dry, but that's just because there are so many things that need to happen at one time any extreme causes a problem in our "schedule".  Right now the rain is killing me.  I've got 50 acres of alfalfa that's bursting into bloom.  Even if it is a beautiful sea of purple and white, it's not quite what I had hoped for when I decided to let it grow a little longer a couple of weeks back.  The honey bees that are on the farm I'm sure are making a bumper crop of honey, but as the bloom goes on, the protein in the hay goes down.  I'm determined to cut the hay this week, maybe even tomorrow.  The beans have started coming up thanks to the rain and since I have to go the the USDA/FSA office on Monday to report the number of bean acres, I used the "down time" to GPS the acres.  Seems like it should be more but it looks like I only have 36.5 acres of beans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment