Friday, December 11, 2009

After a lot of time spent in the skid loader we finally have the bales I think we'll need for feed for the winter moved from around the farm to around the house, which is where the winter area for the cows is located.  Running bales with the skid loader is not the most rewarding or exciting job, but it's not that bad either.  Sharon would disagree, she ran the skid loader to move the corral and hated it.

I was getting dressed this morning and looked out the window to watch the cows and steers feeding.  I noticed an odd movement so I watched longer.  Then I noticed the motion was that of a calf hitting a cows udder to get the cow to drop its milk!  I grabbed my binoculars to get a closer look at the ear tag number and sure enough cow 55 was standing there for her calf to try to nurse.  The calves had been moved off to Phil's for six weeks for weaning.  A month and a half later and now we have a steer who wants to try again!?!  All I can hope for is that the cow is dry and the steer will give up.  It's too cold for a cow to be trying to provide milk and keep her weight on at the same time.  We'll have to keep an eye on this new development.

No comments:

Post a Comment