Friday, November 13, 2009


A neighbor is letting me bale corn stalks about 4 miles up the road. This will be a huge help in keeping feed costs low for the cows this winter. I was able to bale 54 bales and had only 2 bad bales. I'm baling using sisal twine on the corn stalks with my JD round baler which is more tricky than using the net wrap that my baler can also use. The sisal twine wrap can be fed directly to the cows without having to cut the wrap off, and corn is terrible with net wrap IMO. Unlike net wrapping alfalfa, when you cut the wrap on a bale of corn stalk the corn stalk falls apart as soon as you cut it like it is under pressure. It's a total pain to use net wrap on corn stalk if you're the one that has to feed the bale to the cows and cut the wrap. The net wrap bales look great but the time it takes to cut the wrap off and get the wrap out of the bale ring isn't worth it IMO. From a baling operation standpoint, the net wrap is much faster and easier to operate which makes baling much more efficient. On the other hand if I run with too high a ground speed when using twine, the twine arms get fouled with corn stover and the twine wrapping process breaks down which creates a bad bale and downtime. This was an issue with the oat straw. After the oat straw pain caused by too much ground speed and RPS as well as a missing twine guide, I checked the baler book and have taken the suggested settings on the baler to improve the efficiency. I slowed the ground speed slightly and dropped the RPMs. This really helped yesterday when we had a 30mph wind from the south. When I would bale north with a tail wind, high ground speed and high RPM everything was pushed forward in the baler and ended up on the twine arms - hence one of the bad bales. Today I baled about a dozen bales and never missed a beat. I greased and fueled the skidloaders and took my skidloader over to pickup the bales. We got one load of bales on the trailer and it started a rain/mist. On the way out of the field one of the wheels sunk in the ground by one of the new windmills that is on the farm where I'm baling. I had to unload the 3 top bales and hook the truck to the skidloader. George drove while I pulled the truck and trailer with a chain. Once out I reloaded and took the load of bales home. We unloaded the bales and had to call it quits because of rain and darkness. We'll try to get the bales home again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. If you have a small organization and you want to advertise it but you want the most cost-effective cost then one of the best alternatives is to advertise using a grainbag ,silage tarp and
    netwrap

    ReplyDelete