Thursday, August 13, 2009

Rain Day


Whew. We've been so busy that now that we're finally getting thunderstorms this morning it's actually a relief to sit still. The straw is baled up and under cover and the last of the second cutting of alfalfa is done. Learned a lot from this cutting of alfalfa. Actually I learn something new every cutting. With the alfalfa being so old, the stems are very thick and take forever to dry. Sometimes longer. If I had a mower conditioner I'd probably be able to speed he process and bring the quality up. I'm hoping that the 3rd and final cutting is high quality and fills the building. Then I can wait out the low market price... I hope. I moved all but 7 bales of straw out of the building and put a tarp over it to make room for the last cutting of alfalfa. I'm being optimistic that the alfalfa will be high enough quality to offset moving the straw out. I put the straw on pallets and put them under a tarp to keep the quality as high as possible while still being outside. We'll know later this fall or winter if it paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment