Thursday, August 27, 2009

3rd Cutting - The Charm?

I cut half of the half that is to be cut of alfalfa today. Huh? I'm not going to cut any hay off of the new alfalfa hay since I don't want to risk any winter kill. That leave only about 50 acres of alfalfa hay to cut. Usually we only get 3 cuttings off of our place, although this year we are pulling out the remaining old half of the alfalfa to renovate the field so I may try to take one more off late this fall. It takes about 28 days for alfalfa to mature after cutting so that would put me at the end of September. Usually pretty cool, but then this year has been unusually cool anyway so it will be par for the course if I can get a cutting. I still have another 25 acres or so to cut but it won't be ready for another week. I walked it today and while there are some flowers on it, the majority hasn't even budded yet, so I have time. The hay I cut today will take a long time to dry since the weather is so cool. I'll try to rake it into windrows tomorrow sometime. I'm supposed to go over to Tim's to help him bale some of his grass hay. It is really nice stuff. If it dries down right it should make a horse person very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment