Monday, January 18, 2010

Hauling Hay


The weather has warmed up this past week and has given us a little time to do other things besides move snow.  Today I took some hay to the sale barn and this let me open up the hoop building a little more and will allow us to move through the hoop building to load small square bales from the west end to the east end of the hoop building and to leave the hay rack inside the east side of the hoop building until it's sold.  I checked on my hay inventory after delivering the hay and I've got quite a few more straw bales left than I thought but don't have as many alfalfa bales as I thought.  To take the hay to the sale barn today I used my brother's big hay rack.  His rack has huge timbers that run the length of the hay rack and sawn railroad ties for cross boards.  I loaded 10 bales that weighed a minimum of 1100 pounds each for a total minimum weight of 11,000 pounds.  The only problem I had taking the hay to town was that the hay rack sways when I drive over 25mph with a load on it, so it takes a while to get it down the road going 25mph down a 65mph highway.  They hay market has been down this year but it's nice alfalfa hay so I hope it brings good money.  You never know though...

No comments:

Post a Comment