Thursday, May 26, 2011

YouTube Farm Equipment Maintenance Videos

With the rain we've been having I decided to take care of a minor issue that didn't start until after we completed the winter maintenance items.  Our John Deere 4440 tractor was leaking hydraulic/transmission fluid around the PTO seal.  Not a big deal but it was dripping oil everywhere it sat and was wasting fluid.  I think that I came out on the wrong side of this bit of maintenance.  To do this repair you have two choices: drain the rear end fluid into clean buckets and pour it back in when the repair is complete, or park the tractor pointing down-hill to move the fluid toward the front of the tractor and away from the repair.  I chose the hill only the hill wasn't steep enough and about $120 of fluid was lost.  It would take a life time of dripping fluid to make up for that!
I tried to do as much research on a repair as I could before attempting the fix.  One thing I've come to expect is to find just about any type of maintenance instructional video online.  But unlike maintenance on cars, trucks, even guns and robots, farm equipment maintenance isn't very available on online.  With all of the yearly maintenance and do-it-yourself repairs that farmers do you'd think there would be libraries worth of online maintenance videos but there isn't.  So I've decided that any tech manual level maintenance that I do I'll put online in our YouTube channel. I did an FX-2000 hay moisture sensor install in my John Deere 567 round baler and posted that to YouTube over the winter.  This time I recorded the PTO oil seal leak repair and posted that as well.  Maybe I can start a trend...

1 comment:

  1. I love your videos and thanks for showing this maintenance video.

    ReplyDelete