Wednesday, April 13, 2011

High Tunnel

We started preparing the location for the high tunnel.  Unfortunately the site that we had chosen had a three and a half foot drop from end to end.  That was hardly ideal and meant that we would either have to do a lot of dirt work to get the site level or I would have to build on the steep grade and hope for the best.  I chose neither.  We started looking for a new site that would have less grade but still within reach of our water lines so that we can use drip tape.  The only site that is available is in the pasture directly behind the house.  Since the high tunnel is part of an NRCS program I contacted NRCS and began the discussion regarding the new location.  After a few days they said that I should proceed with my new location.  That is great news!  Now we can finally get started and hopefully get the high tunnel up once the weather cooperates and dries out.

2 comments:

  1. We at qazi agri farms are the growers of fresh vegetable and rice using Green House Tunnel Farming to get the products in off seasons as well. We have 200 Acre of land where we are using this green house tunnel farming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I viewed your website and your fb page. A very noble vision and mission. I really enjoyed the pictures. I hope to be able to document my experiences with the high tunnel building process and farming experience for others to use as well. I would be interested to know what the weather is like where you are using tunnels. Our weather is extremely cold in the winter and high winds which we expect to be very challenging.

    ReplyDelete