Thursday, October 7, 2010

Beans

If you're reading this and don't live near farm country you may not know that harvest is in full swing.  Here harvest is going strong and unlike last year, the weather is perfect.  With cool nights and occasional frost, the days are dry, and that makes for perfect harvest weather.  Most everyone around our parts are wrapping up beans (soy), and are starting to open up the corn fields.  I've started helping a neighbor harvest the different farms in the area that he farms.  My job is hauling, which means I drive the trucks and tractors to pull the grain to the elevator in town.  Not hard work but it can be nerve racking running a tractor through traffic.  Not that we have much traffic.  I remember when I lived in MD and helped harvest tobacco, pulling racks of tobacco with tractors through traffic.  Now that was serious traffic!  Our beans look really good and should be ready to harvest in a couple days.  Bean prices look great this year so I'm excited to get our beans to town and get them sold.

1 comment:

  1. Bwahaha yes we are pretty spoiled thinking a traffic jam is waiting for someone to turn left, aren't we!? I love it.

    I agree the weather is FANTASTIC! Okoboji 8th grade played Spirit Lake tonight. We lost but the weather was so gorgeous it was hard to mind.... too much.

    ReplyDelete