Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Last Cutting of 2010

I cut raked and started to bale my last cutting of hay for the year.  The weather has been a little cool, but I think that this cutting will be my best of the year.  The wind yesterday was both a blessing and a hassle.  It helped to dry the hay down pretty quickly, but it also blew any north-south windrows around and made a mess of the field.  Because they're calling for a 30% chance of rain tonight I didn't let hay scattered on the field slow me down.  I just baled what I could when I would get to windrows that were too spread out to pickup and kept going.  I baled last night starting at around 8PM when the relative humidity(RH) got to about 70%.  The humidity was sucked up by the leaves and kept them from shattering while I baled.  I baled about a third of the field by midnight when the RH was too high and brought the bale moisture up too far.  There's always a nagging fear that when I bale into the night I can bale too long and pickup too much moisture in the bales.  That can lead to bales heating and actually starting a fire.  It would be nice to have an on-the-fly bale moisture tester on my baler, but with my luck it'd be one more thing that would break down during baling and with the small windows of opportunity that I've had for good baling days this year I don't need another thing from keeping me from striking while the iron's hot.  I'm waiting for the RH to go down this morning so that I can get back too it before it's too dry and I have to stop again.  The window of opportunity will close quickly once the sun shines on the field for long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment