Thursday, April 1, 2010

Early Sprouts?

I'm not sure why, but this year our plants have germinated a few days earlier than last year.  The first to pop-up were the cucumbers, but then the roma tomatoes were just a couple of days behind.  That's 2 1/2 days for the cucumbers and 4 days for the romas.  Sharon thinks that it's because I've kept the corn stove cranked up and the temps have been in the high 70's - 80 F in the area we're germinating the plants.  She may be right.  Last year when we started the plants it was cold outside and we had temps near freezing during the day.  This year it's been in the 50's and the nights have now barely dipped to freezing.  The next change will be hardening the plants.  This year the basement is much warmer than usual, which I assume means that the plants will not slow down as much which made for really hardy plants last year.  I figure that I can keep the temps down by opening windows if needed but with temps outside so warm it might be warmer outside than down in the basement.  I guess I get to learn new things every time we run into something that is different.  I guess this is why old farmers can say they've been farming for 50 years and can only remember a couple of "normal" years...

No comments:

Post a Comment