Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rain, Rain


Will the rain ever stop? When it's really dry in July and August I'll be complaining that we need more rain, but today I can only see the sweetcorn patch that isn't, and the hay seed that's still in the sack. When we were planting the asparagus this weekend I used our corn planter to mark the rows where the furrow's would be dug, and during that process a sprocket broke off the planter. Since the corn planter is a pre-1953 John Deere 494 planter the sprocket is obsolete and no longer available, from what I can tell, anywhere but on someone's planter somewhere. So I found another one from a friend who I got the first one from. This one is a 494-A, which is newer but still from the 50's. After a long day of logistics to get the planter home it's finally in the hoop shed on our place. Anyway the rain gives me a chance to get the planter cleaned out and setup and the pasture and alfalfa fields are getting all of the water they need to get a good jump on the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment